2008 Missouri Trip: Day Seven: From Terre Haute to Home!

This is the seventh and final post in a series of our trip to Columbia Missouri.  To read what Padre, Panda Bear, and Meerkat were up to in our absence, check out the Furry Bambinos blog.

We hit the road on Sunday August 3 at noon EDT, 1206.1 miles on the trip counter, in search of a Dunkin Donuts. After driving around Terre Haute for about 20 minutes without finding one, we hit the highway, hungry and crabby.


We stopped at a McDonald’s and got burgers to tide us over.  We never did see any Dunkin Donuts in Indiana.

We saw this cropduster flying low overr the highway. Yep, we’re city slickers.


It seemed as if everyone and their brother was out for a Sunday drive. And we just wanted to get home as fast as possible. In Indiana, the speed limit on I-70 was 70 mph. However, I seemed to keep getting stuck behnd people driving 72 in the fast lane, so I had to keep changing lanes to go around them in the “slow” lanes.

We finally made it to Ohio at 3:30 pm EDT, 1374.0 miles (almost 462 miles from Columbia).



We saw an interesting sign at a rest stop describing Interstate 70.


The closer we got to home, the happier we got. Got to the Corp. limit of Columbus at 5:23 pm, with 1464.1 on the trip counter (552 miles from Columbia). 


Happier still:


We saw a truck with a fun sign on it:


We made it to the southwestern suburbs of Cleveland near dinner time, so we decided to have dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Medina. Yummy!

At 8:00 pm, with the trip counter at 1587.5 (about 675 miles from Columbia), we got back in the van after dinner. We had less than an hour to go, and the sun was setting on our way.


With Sue at the wheel, “we made good time” and arrived home at 8:46 pm EDT.  The trip counter read 1628.3.  This meant we were 716.2 miles from Columbia, and that we had travelled 422.2 miles today.  (If you subtract our wanderings to find a Dunkin Donuts, and our excursion into downtown St. Louis, the trip is probably about 675 miles total.)


The Bambinos seemed happy to see us. Meerkat clawed some furniture to express her delight that we were home.


We showered them with hugs and kisses.




Naturally, they sniffed all of our belongings as we unloaded the van.



We made a few calls to let everyone know we made it back OK. Then, we went grocery shopping and returned the minivan, after fueling it up one last time. We are glad to be back to driving a much more fuel-efficient car!

All in all, we had a great time on this trip!







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *